Caring 4 Kittens
 
 Home   Getting Started   What To Expect   What Needs 
 To Be Done 
 Kitten Care  Kitten Ailments   Emergency Care 

What to Expect


One Week Old Kittens



The temperature of the nest box should be nice and warm 85-90 degrees.

A kitten’s temperature will normally be as low as 98.6F at birth, increasing to 100F within seven days.

It is virtually impossible to overfeed a nursing mom cat. Her food requirements increase up to three times the normal amount. Mom cat can be fed kitten milk replacement and kitten food during this time to provide the extra nutrients needed.

At one week of age, the kittens should weigh 4 oz.

Kittens’ should be handled minimally, other than gentle stroking to waken them for feeding.

Milk replacement for kittens should always be used, never feed your kitten cow’s milk.. It is a good idea to feed them kitten milk with colostrum for the first two weeks following birth.

A kitten should eat a total of 2 tablespoons, or approximately 18cc, in a 24-hour period. Feeding should be done every 2-3 hours.

Kittens need to be stimulated in the genital area to encourage urination and defecation.

Kittens will sleep 90% of the time and eat the other 10%.

They should nurse vigorously and compete for nipples. Newborns can nurse up to 45 minutes at a time.



   Home |  Getting Started |  What To Expect |  What Needs To Be Done |  Kitten Care |  Kitten Ailments |  Emergency Care